Friday, December 18, 2009

It is what it is.

Obviously I missed the class on how you are supposed to act when you and your spouse split up. Supposedly you SHOULDN'T talk to them several times a week. You DON"T text each other just to see how the other is doing. You DON'T call your soon to be ex-wife at seven in the morning just to talk whenever you're upset about something. You DON'T arrange to have your soon to be ex-husband come over and help you put together your new dresser. You DON'T talk. You DON'T hang out. You DON'T care about each other anymore...
or not...
What if you're still best friends? So what if you talk and text each other? What's so wrong with helping each other out? What if you always will care about them?
I get a lot of "what the hell" or "you guys are weird." Well duh... Brian and I have always been weird. All I can say is that when you grow up with someone and you love someone you're always going to want to be there for them and see them happy. Some people ask how I can be friends with a guy that bailed on our marriage. My reply simply would be, "How can I not?" As friends Brian and I work. He might have failed in some aspects of being a husband but he's never failed me as a friend. Somehow even when our divorce is finalized I'll always think of Brian as family. In this life we'll always be connected somehow. Perhaps there will never be a correct label for Brian and I. Maybe no one will ever understand our friendship. But that's okay. As Brian likes to say, "It is what it is," and that's good enough for me.

No comments: