Friday, February 22, 2008

God and reasons?

"Everything happens for a reason!"
The catch all phrase to explain the unexplainable. People love to say that God has plans that us mere humans cannot even begin to understand. And that God never gives you more than you can handle. As if God perches upon the edge of some golden throne in heaven and imposes his wishes at will... "that one I will allow to lose a child, no worries she can handle it"... "oh and that young man can battle cancer, sure he'll have a tough go at it for awhile but he will come out of the whole ordeal with a new lease on life"... "perhaps this one can lose her job, house, and family all in one day, in ten years she'll understand why"
Oh ye of little faith. (Me of little faith.) Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time believing in a God who ALLOWS horrible things to happen to his followers. Or even perhaps causes them to happen. I believe in a higher power I'm just trying to come to my own conclusion of what God is to me. I feel like for the past 25 years my view of God has been dead wrong. For the longest time I thought, wished, or hoped that if I believed enough, prayed enough, worshipped enough that God would somehow ease this or that, give me this or that, so on and so forth. Yet if God did do all those things who wouldn't believe in him? You could pray yourself to a new car or worship your way out of any illness. As depressing and as sad as it may be I don't think that God (generally, I'm open to exceptions) has his hand in our lives on earth. Here he doesn't impose his will, rather it's our will or the will of the world that we live by. I'm not by any means saying that God isn't present... just that he isn't governing events or placing things in our paths for us to learn from. I don't think that a loving God would do that. (Why would he give me hope of a child only to take it back fourteen weeks later) I think that life is just life...that things happen for no rhyme or reason... and to keep from becoming too terrified of the uncertain of it all we invent and create reasons. Is it so bad of a thought to say that it is just because it is? Maybe I'm completely off base and two weeks from now I could be writing pages and pages on what God has personally done for me in my daily life but for now I'm not convinced that their is any devine reasoning behind earthly events. The trick here is believing in GOD despite, or should I say in spite, of the lack of rhyme or reason. And I do. Somehow in someway I do believe in GOD. I just need to sort out who my GOD is and what he means to me.

No comments: